Quality of Light and Joe

So I have started doing this thing at the end of my quiet time in the morning.
I stop.
I close my eyes.
And I listen.

We spend a lot of time talking, thinking, spinning.
Talking to God, to ourselves, having imaginary conversations with people who frustrate us.
(I don't, but I hear tell of people who do)
We can't help but add to the noise.
We don't know what to do with stillness.
We don't know what to do with silence.
So- I am trying to make space for silence.
To empty my mind and listen.  And then...to trust what I hear....or see.

I just write down whatever pops into my head.  Whether it's a picture, a verse of scripture, a song lyric...whatever.  I just go with it.
It's been...interesting.  Some days- nada.  True story.  I have had a few when nothing comes, OR I just cannot get my brain to shuttheheckup.

But then...there have been a few days when something kinda awesome happens.

A few days ago...as I was "listening."  I "saw" snap pea plants,  against a perfect blue sky- reaching for the sun. The light shining through the leaves...so pretty.

Something along these lines, only closer up with clear perfect blue sky behind.

And I began to think about the quality of light.  How beautiful it is, how it illuminates through the leaves.  Beauty, in the smallest details.  And I began to ponder...

What is the quality of light that we shine? 
Does it bring nourishment for growth?
What is the source of the light we shine?

Light brings:  illumination, revelation, beauty, purpose, growth, nourishment and warmth.  It casts away darkness.  It also creates shade- which brings refreshing and rest.

Like plants, our instinct is to reach for the light.  But some lights kill.

Remember Joe vs. The Volcano?

Yikes.  Now let's talk about the hideous light.

The quality of light we take in matters.  We need sunlight to thrive.  We need to feel it on our skin and in our hearts.  
SAD?  Seasonal Affective Disorder?  Yep.  True story.  I deal with it annually.  Marty bought me a happy light for Christmas one year...hallelujah.  
We need good light.  Externally and internally.  To heal not only our bodies, but our souls.
The wrong light can kill us.  It can cause us harm.  Physical, emotional- it can suck our very soul.
I think there is a reason that Christmas lights stay up until February here in Seattle.
They are little points of light, color and hope in the dreary long winter.
Light matters.  Ask Joe.


Much better.
It's an odd little movie, but one of my favorite production designs.

So- what is your source of light? 
What illuminates and warms your soul?
How do we get out of God's way to let His light shine through us?

You are the light of the world.
Selah.

Comments

  1. When I can fit it in, I try to sit quietly before God at the end of my quiet times, too. It's one of the hardest things to do. Ever! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there- we may hit on some hot-button topics- so I would just like to make sure everyone plays nice.
Thank you for taking time to read this and comment!
I appreciate it so much!
Cheers!
Sarah

Popular Posts