I am having an IDEA

So- I used to go to a church that did a great Trunk-or-Treat event at Halloween.  I headed it up one year- and it was, to be honest, quite stressful.  I have a knack for throwing parties and planning events, but- if I can be candid- if you are asked to be responsible to do something, you need the authority to be able to do it.  I think that's why many people get frustrated with churches- they have a vision or an idea to do something- but they have to jump through a kabillion hoops, or do it in a certain way that meets a bunch of criteria, or do it the way it's always been done- and in the end, it really isn't worth it.
There's a book about that phenomenon- it's called Church Refugees http://www.amazon.com/Church-Refugees-Sociologists-reveal-people/dp/1470725924
- it is a fascinating look at the sociology of it all- and I relate to a lot more than I care to....
But I digress....

Anyhoo- I loved Trunk-or-Treat. Marty did a lot of that kind of thing growing up- and we just went for it.  The first year, we were pirates- which rocked.  We decked out the Jeep, dressed up, had music playing and made the kids say "ARRRRRRR" before they got their candy.  Another year, we did a mad scientist lab- it was so fun! We were great!
The thing I love about Halloween- and yes, I love Halloween. I do not worship Satan.  I do not give him glory.  But I enjoy the hospitality of it all.  I mean, come on- what other time of year do you open up your house to strangers?  And what other day do you let your kids take candy from strangers?  And don't even get me started on the costumes.  I am a costume designer, for the love of all that's holy!  BOOYA!  So fun.  Dress up and bless kids by playing games and getting them all sugared up to send home?  COUNT ME IN.

We throw a party every year.  Last year, I got one of those kid's Halloween Bingo games from Target and everyone was like, "What?"  And grumbled and snorted, but I tell you, you should have seen how focused those grown-ups got working those 4-5 Bingo cards each as I called out "B- black cat, I- bat." Senior citizens, eat your hearts out.
Good times.

So anyhoo- I don't know if it's like childbirth and it's been long enough that I've forgotten the pain of giving birth, or I don't know if it's God or what.  But I have a hankering to put together a dilly of a Trunk-or-Treat. I am talking on a big scale here.  In my dreams, this happens:

2-3 churches in North Seattle partnering together to pull it off.
Maybe corporate sponsorship (it can be spendy)
A big parking lot (need places for the cars and for people to park)
Popcorn machine
Hot dogs to counterbalance all the sugar
Coffee, cider, hot chocolate
50-75 AWESOME cars- complete with themes,activities and games for the kids (we'll have prizes so people know to bring their "A game" )
A giant blow up pirate ship slide
A bouncy house
Taproot Theatre's Road Company putting on their elementary school shows about bullying
(hmm, we'd need a stage and sound system, add that to the corporate sponsorship)
A band? Maybe 2?
The churches could each have a "station" or a tent where they bless the kids and pass out info.
We could even have some non-profit tents there- raising awareness for their cause.
People making friends!  Becoming community!

And that's just "initial thoughts."  See? I told you, I think BIG THOUGHTS, and have IDEAS.
But wouldn't it be awesome?  Hundreds of kids, safe and blessed, having a blast.

I might be crazy.
But it sure would be awesome.
Thoughts?
Volunteers?

Comments

Popular Posts