Who would you invite?

So the past couple of weeks have been a bit bonkerpants.
Because SUMMER.

In addition to a kabillion theatre  pre-pubescent campers twirling about in fancy costumes and smelling up the dressing rooms (all while being brilliant and having a blast), the 3 touring shows with 3 new actors,  the Godspell cast wearing out shoes, leggings and going through temporary tattoos like they are water, getting Dracula designed and loaded into the costume shop,  in addition to all this crazy, well...CANCER.

Yep.  Good old-fashioned cancer.  Of the papillary thyroid variety.  In my husband.  Well, it used to be.
On Tuesday, July 14th- we went into Virginia Mason and had that puppy pulled out- along with a few lymph nodes for good measure.  And they think they got it all (YAY!) and Marty is healing on schedule.  He had a sore throat for a few days and gets tired, but you know, when you are older and they cut you open and pull bits out, it takes time to bounce back before all is well in the world.
Besides, he got a brand new thyroid!


Courtesy of our co-workers, the good folks at Taproot Theatre Company.
We shall call him Squishy.



ANYHOO. Good times. Seriously, can't you hear it?
Playing with the godkids:
"Everley Anne, don't hit your brother with Uncle Marty's thyroid!"  
Right? Fun. Hilarity ensues.
He is recovering. For me, there has been much hospital sitting, home sitting and chores. My big gorilla of love gets pretty grumpy when he's forced to be dependent on others for his well-being. It's been quite entertaining. I love the evil side eye he's been getting when we're out and about and I am loaded down with bags of groceries, cases of water, etc. like a pack horse and he (the big guy) is just casually strolling along with nothing. So funny. And chores! HA! He wasn't cleared to lift anything heavier than a gallon of water and was supposed to take it easy- so when all he could do was dust (it's his FAVORITE)- this happened:

Him:  (Sigh) So many knick-knacks.  Do I have to move them?
Me:  I move them. I only dust every three or four weeks.  (Continues scrubbing nasty kitchen sink)
Him:  (Sigh) I am not moving the Jesuses. 
Me:  I move your Jesuses when I dust.
Him:  (Sigh)
THANKS FOR DUSTING, HONEY!  I TOTALLY APPRECIATE IT.

All that to say- we're on the road to recovery. And with God working through the generosity of those near and dear to us, the provision has been rolling in. If you have been one of those folks who has purchased art or given us a gift, I pray a thousand-fold return blessing on y'all. We are blown away- we're not out of the woods yet- but the burden is so much lighter. THANK YOU.

I started back to work this week, and, SUMMER...see above.
And my work computer is so old, that it will periodically quit working- so, good times.  Of course,  I have a thousand things to order online.  Although, my co-worker's will randomly turn itself OFF- so I am not the only one. (Don't worry- we get "new"computers next week)  And no, I can't use my phone, it's stupid.  Which is the way I like it.
And so- work is CRAZY.

I feel like life and the city are closing in on me lately.  SO....MUCH...CONSTRUCTION. Prices in Seattle are going up, up, up.  Didn't you know?  It's the new San Fransisco!  YAY.  Will we be able to afford to stay?  No idea.  What would we do if we moved?  Where would we go?  How do we pay for it?   Couple that with all the BIG IDEAS and DANGEROUS THOUGHTS I am having in my faith-realm lately, and suddenly, my head is about to explode.

So, I daydream of the perfect girls night out.  I'm thinking-  outdoor dining, near water, no bugs, candlelight, lots of sangria, mimosas and mojitos. (I just discovered I LOVE mojitos, especially with blueberries in them, thanks, Michael!)  There would be...chocolate.  Duh.  And whatever yumminess that we don't have to cook....  The food doesn't matter as much as the company.  

So here it goes, who would I invite?  Here are some ladies (alive or dead) who feed my soul.....

The inner circle of friends- you know who you are.
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler- because Liz Lemon and Leslie Knope y'all.
Mother Teresa- because I want to get her a mani-pedi and a facial and a massage and a bit of pampering for herself for being walking love and inspiring so many of us.  I know it's nothing compared to hanging with Jesus, but you know.
Stasi Eldredge- because she makes me at peace with being myself and encourages me all over the place.
Mary Magdalene- let's clear up the rumors y'all....Hollywood probably has it all wrong- and wouldn't you want to know what it's like to be delivered of  7 demons?  
Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith and Judy Dench- accents and awesomeness.
Jen Hatmaker- no one makes me cry and laugh at the same time like this woman.
Madeline L'Engle- this woman inspires my art and reminds me what it means to be an artist and a lover of Jesus...and her view of God is SO BIG.  I love it.
Jesus's mom, Mary- because, really, I wanna know- how did she do it?  I want to ask about the wedding in Cana- I imagine it went something like this:

Mary: (looks meaningfully at son)  They are out of wine...
Jesus:  So?
Mary:  (hands on hips)  I said.....they are out of wine. (raises eyebrow)
Jesus: (amused)  What's that got to do with ME?  Not time yet....
Mary:  ........Uh huh...... (turns away to the servants) Do whatever He says. (walks off)
Jesus: .................................................fine. (chuckles)


No, I am not inviting Jesus, it's a GIRLS NIGHT...besides, he already knows how it will play out. So, who would you invite and why?


Comments

Popular Posts