Epiphany vs. Ennui

Sadly- I have had no profound thoughts for the past couple of weeks.
I have just been trying to survive the holidays- just like everyone else.

I took a week of vacation for Christmas- although, there wasn't much resting to be had.

Christmas was fun- it usually is- very busy- which it also usually is.  We spent it with "framily"- and had lots of adventures- we went to the Lights of Christmas, we saw Star Wars... twice.  We let our 4 year old goddaughter stay overnight- and then I took her "Christmas Shopping"- which was hilarious.  We also saw reindeer, a camel, petted some koi (not kidding) and I took her to see Merry Christmas Charlie Brown again. She had a blast.
She is a hoot- she loves Christmas music- and will just make up the lyrics if she doesn't know them.  This year, the favorite was Frosty the Snowman, singing and seeing- and if I don't see that one for a couple of years- I'm good.  What is it about the itty bittys that they can watch something a hundred billion kajillion times in a row????
Ah, well.  I will say that Christmas is way more fun when kids are involved.


This is the ornament that Ev picked out for Uncle Marty.
Because he is an artist.


Marty and I also went on the big boat for the Christmas Ships finale- which is a very cool Seattle Christmas tradition. We've watched it from Gasworks Park in the past- but never did the boat itself.  So we did it this year- just because.  And it was fun....and loud.  The big boat plays music as it travels- and lots of boats follow it all decked out in Christmas lights.  I bet there were 60 or so boats out there.  It's a big old Christmas parade on the water...very cool.

just a hint...

It kind of cracks me up- that totally politically correct, borderline obnoxiously liberal Seattle has no problem with belting Jesus Christmas tunes during this event.  So hilarious.
You think I am kidding about the political "correctness?" Our neighborhood has lighted "holiday monkeys" who escaped from the zoo, because, apparently, SNOWFLAKES are too "religious."

Not even kidding....these buggers are all over the neighborhood.
We even have 2 at the theatre.
I do believe it is a fundraiser for the zoo- but you know, 
nothing says the holidays like a monkey.


 But I digress....
The Christmas Ship was also quite the lesson in sociology.  There was a family of women sitting near us- Grandma, mom, 2 daughters, a couple of aunts....obviously from the other side of the lake, you know, the POSH side.  I think it must be a different planet over there.  You could tell that the mom and aunt used the same plastic surgeon as Grandma...seriously.  So many leggings as pants and fuzzy boots.  And then the mom gave one of her daughters a $100 bill to DANCE FOR A MINUTE.  Wow.  I asked the mom why and she said, "Well, I would give her the money anyway, but at least I got her off her phone."
Totally different planet.
I can't even fathom having that kind of disposable income.  It makes me wonder, could I even handle it?  No idea.  But I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl...

I am telling you, deep spiritual times were had.

Well, somewhat.  I did get a new advent devotional (I mentioned it previously) that I really love- that goes through to Epiphany.

Epiphany- what a great word.
Epiphany- the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles as represented by the Magi.
Indeed.

And now we are in the weird between of Christmas and New Year's- this weekend, our Christmas decorations will come down (UGH- I wish my elf collection would magically come to life and DO SOME WORK FOR A CHANGE) and we'll be set to hit the ground running for next week.

Usually, I have a sense of a theme that God is speaking to me around this time of year- but...no.
At least, not yet.
Still the same old, same old.  January.
Grey, rainy....
Ahhh.
Ennui.

Ennui- a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

Otherwise known in my world as January.
Every year. I don't know if it's the let down of the holidays- or the dreariness of the weather (Seattle in the winter is what y'all think it's like all year long)- or what.  I just don't know.

There are things to look forward to in 2016- we'll be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary with a weekend to Whidbey Island and a cruise to Alaska.  There are things I am looking forward to that I can't talk about yet (shhh, it's a secret)- life isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.
I just long for...epiphany?
I dearly long for change- I have for the past couple of years.  In my heart, in the world...I don't know- perhaps it's a mid-life crisis.  I guess chopping the hair off wasn't enough.
I just want to make changes that matter- that bring joy and life to myself and others.  Things aren't bad- I just think- could they be better?  Why settle for okay?
What does that even mean?
Is there a way I could be living, or something I could be doing- that has more meaning?
Epiphany vs. Ennui.
I think that is something to ponder...
Happy New Year.
See y'all next year.

Comments

Popular Posts