Stop.

Life has been a little crazy.
Of course it has.
This week for Lent, our little group is trying to do the 7 Sacred Pauses of the day- or the Daily Office, if you will.  You stop 7 times a day and take a wee break to breathe and touch base with God.

So that hasn't happened.  Nope.
Things went a little crazy- all sorts of stuff popping up to get in the way.  We're in tech, a friend needed a ride in for a medical procedure (and friends on drugs are fun) costume notes, Easter plans, classes to prep for, work to do....
And then the news, more bombs..more people hurt and dead.  Heartbreaking.
Life just feels too GOGOGOGOGOGOGO to stop and sacredly pause 7 times per day.
I've tried- I did 5 of them yesterday- well, I did 3 pauses in 1 big long pause anyhoo-and absolutely none today.  True story.
So much life happening this Holy week.  So many distractions...
Opportunities to deal with, work to deal with, birthdays, holidays, family- all good stuff.

But no stillness.
And I love stillness.
I love sitting doing nothing but letting my mind wander and rest.
I can actually do it for hours- watching the world, daydreaming, thinking up words to write, to speak, art to create- or to think of absolutely NOTHING at all.
I don't do it often enough.
BE STILL.
KNOW HE IS GOD.

It's hard, isn't it?
We really have to be intentional about it.
But that requires planning, and trust.
Trust that if we stop for a moment or two, or three or ten- that the world won't fall apart.

It won't you know.
It feels like it sometimes, doesn't it?
The pressure we put on ourselves- well, at least the pressure I put on MYSELF, I'm sure y'all are far more together than that-  or perhaps there pressure that is put on us by work, culture, family obligations, life...
But you know what?

I can't save the world.
Nope.
Neither can you.
Jesus already did- and we do need to do our part to walk it out and help and love.
But to do our part, we need to SHUTUPAMINUTEALREADY and BE STILL.
So we can hear.

So we can know what is important to God, to us- what do we think about?
What makes us passionate?
Do we think about hurting people?  Do we have ideas to help?  Dreams to accomplish?
I am still trying to figure out a way to give homeless folks a mailing address to help them in transition- or to set up a place of provision (food, material items) for the working poor, how to write a book, make art that tells a story and feeds a child, how do I pray more- there is so much I want to do- to make a difference....ideas, ideas, ideas.
But how can you have ideas if you are going a hundred billion miles an hour with busy work?

Take a breath.
Smell a rose.
Look up at the sky.
Look at someone walking down the street,  lift a quick prayer for them- it's okay- you don't need to know who they are.
Just...stop.
That's all.  Just...stop.
Be still.
He is God.
He has me.
He has you.
It is okay to stop.

My favorite "Be still" view- Fort Casey, on Whidbey Island, near the Light House
Photo credit- me

Comments

  1. Good stuff, Sarah. Hey, an organization here in Asheville gives homeless that mailing address you talked about - plus a place to shower. And they place homeless in homes and subsidize their rent until they can find jobs. It's called Homeward Bound, and it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there- we may hit on some hot-button topics- so I would just like to make sure everyone plays nice.
Thank you for taking time to read this and comment!
I appreciate it so much!
Cheers!
Sarah

Popular Posts