True Confessions and the BBC.

I am a complete and total hot mess of a Downton Abbey junkie.
There.
I said it.  It's out there.  WHEW.

I am not kidding.  I didn't even watch it for the first two seasons because I KNEW.
I just knew once I started, it was all over.
And it's true.  Someone gave me Season 1 for Christmas one year and I binge watched it in a sitting and then raced to the computer to order Season 2 the moment it was done and then binge watched that in a sitting and then had to wait in TORMENT until Season 3 started.
TORMENT.

Nowadays, I just watch it like normal folk...waiting on tenterhooks from week to week. Kvetching that it isn't released here at the same time it's released in the UK- dodging the spoilers of my European friends....
I tell you, it's one of the few things that has pulled me out of my January ennui for the past few years.

And thus, Sunday night began the beginning of the end.
I prepared by watching the last episode of Season 5 in the afternoon, I cried like I had never seen it before....I was a wreck.
No spoilers for Season 6 (you're welcome) but the first episode was quite satisfactory.

What on earth shall I do next year?  How will I survive January?
I am not kidding.
My husband laughs because me watching Downton is like other people watching sportsball.
I yell at the television.  I suspect Thomas and Lord Grantham have been yelled at waaaayy more than the Seahawks in the past few years, and that's saying something.

Why do I love it so, you may well ask?
Well, it all started when I was a child, and my parents let me watch Brideshead Revisited with Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews.  I was TEN.
Yes, this is how I grew up.  While my friends watched Saved by the Bell and Beverly Hills 89283756 or whatever, I was watching Miss Marple, Poirot, Jewel in the Crown and Brideshead Revisited.   I remember how shocked my 6th grade English teacher and the librarian were when I happened upon them dishing about Brideshead and joined them. The librarian got me a wee teddy named Aloysius that year for Christmas.  I wrote her a poem about she and her true love, Richard Chamberlain (that was the year The Thorn Birds made an appearance- Meggie had nothing on Miss Bartolini- she was the bomb)
I thought nothing was dreamier than Lord Sebastian Flyte- I mean look at him.... I wanted to BE him.

Look at these two in their dishy prime...
I mean, really....can you blame me?


Now at the ripe old age of ten, I didn't realize that being Lord Sebastian Flyte meant that I wanted to be a gay, drunk, British aristocrat- I just knew he was so darn pretty and charming. And he had a teddy!  I was so into it, a friend of mine wrote a poem about my obsession (I still have it) and another one of my friends used to write to me and address me as "Sebastian" and I would address her as "Charles."  I am sure it confused the crap out of the postmen.  It was a hoot when we reconnected on Facebook. But I digress...

So thus, my love for all things British was born.  
I would race home after school to watch the original Poldark.  I am hard core.

So it was a given that I would LOOOOOOOVE Downton.  

Here it is- Sarah's top ten list of why she loves Downton so much! (A few spoilers ahead- you are warned)

10.  THE COSTUMES.  Duh.  So well done.  Seriously- they re-wear things, like you do....everyone is dressed appropriately and accurately. I do sometimes have some "hair" issues- but that's just me- and it doesn't mean they aren't done well.  Just GUSH.  Seriously- watch the whole thing again just for the clothing.  And they do a great job with the character arcs in the clothing. I've enjoyed watching Edith blossom.

9.  EDITH
Say it with me, "OH...EDITH."  Poor Edith.  The ultimate underdog.   I've always rather liked her. I'm hoping she'll get some goodness in her life- no one gives her enough credit.  And for the love of everything holy- can we just get some true love for her?  Someone who doesn't disappear, or stand her up AT THE WEDDING, or get killed (?) by Nazi's?  Can we just give Edith a break?  I mean, really.  Mary is terrible enough to her for all of us.

8.  MARY- that saucy minx.  I have a love/hate relationship with her.  
It all started with this guy.... (spoilers)

Theo James, aka- the dishy Turkish diplomat's son...

Seriously.  I just about died when he showed up in Season 1 and was VERY INAPPROPRIATE.
AND MARY LET HIM IN.  AND THEN HE DIED...IN HER BED.  What the face?
Stones and glass houses, Mary...stones and glass houses.  Leave Edith ALONE.
But I did love how the ladies all ganged up to move Theo back to his own bed and were very clandestine. Nothing like a good cover-up.  I love and hate Mary- because- she is smart, slightly devious, snooty and ballsy, occasionally human (Matthew brought out the best in her) and rocks that bob.

7. MY FAVORITE COUPLE-  Granny and Isobel.  Need I say more?  I think not.  They are MARVELOUS.
This is true love, y'all.

6. MR. BATES.
Can't help it.  Love that guy. He's my "crush" in the series- I own a FREE BATES t-shirt.  Yep. I do.  Hope he and Anna catch a break.  I just love him.

5.  MOSELY and BAXTER- because, yes, please.  He has been her champion. Together they saved the day!  Let's get some snogs and cuddles for these two!

4.  DAISY and MRS PATMORE- more awesome love y'all.  And Daisy's character arc has been fantastic- I can't wait to see where she goes.

This show is wonderful because PEOPLE- and they love and hate and get in each other's dance space, all while wearing fabulous clothing and hats.
Yes, please.

3. THOMAS- because, we need a good villain- one we can periodically root for.  It's complicated.


2.  THIS...
AHHHHHH!!!! THE BEST.  A picture is worth a thousand words.


1.  THE DINING ROOM SCENES.  I understand they were quite horrific and complicated to shoot, and I suspect the cast won't miss those much- but so...much...drama....
So many beautiful mic drop moments.

Let us take a moment, and pause...in memory of Sybil.

Things I loved to hate:

-Sybil's death.  I bawled like a baby through the whole thing.
-Matthew's death- this happened while we were celebrating our anniversary on Whidbey- much yelling was involved.
-Cora's miscarriage- curse you O'Brien!
-Sarah Bunting...just...no.
-Lord Grantham kissing THE MAID.  Seriously....NO.
-Anna's rape.  Yeah, that.
-Will the poor Bates family ever NOT be under suspicion of murder?  For the love of all that is holy- like Isis, it is time to LET IT GO.
-Isis- dying...because well...the dog was, what, 30?

All of this just makes me more invested.  Like trying to figure out if Granny is a timelord because she's about 120 years old by now.
Anyhoo- I am in...hook, line and sinker.  Thank you Julian Fellowes...you have brought great joy to my life.  Thank you cast and crew, for all your investment and hard work- you have made us all a part of a lovely story.  
I am going to enjoy every second of this last season.
And I will miss you all terribly....well, at least until I decide to binge watch all of it periodically.

Yes.  My name is Sarah.
Hi, Sarah.
I am a Downtonaholic.





Comments

  1. LOL! Was I the one who got this horrible addiction started with that first season DVD set? (I might have been, but I refuse to confess a thing.) I just wish I could have watched Downton with you. What fun that would have been!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there- we may hit on some hot-button topics- so I would just like to make sure everyone plays nice.
Thank you for taking time to read this and comment!
I appreciate it so much!
Cheers!
Sarah

Popular Posts