A thrill of hope...that we can get a grip

How to begin.
I am sure this is a dilemma that many writers face, sitting there...staring at the computer- or paper, if they are old school.

It is a bit tricksy this week, trying to corral my thoughts and inner ramblings.  In addition to it being a holiday week, I am still in what feels like day 1026 of the never ending tech/dress rehearsals at the theatre. That's not true, but sometimes, that is what it feels like, and I am sure my compatriots would concur.


Everything is going pretty well as far as I can tell, but I have bumping into walls (literally) and forgetting why I enter rooms, so I suspect that I am nearing my limit...prayers for grace and strength appreciated.  On paper it all looks good, but every once in awhile, I get the urge to sit down- just sit down, doesn't matter where I am, and not move or talk or do or adult...for like, 3 days.  Not even kidding.

But this too, shall pass.  And in the grand scheme of what the world is facing lately- it is all pretty small potatoes.
I am actually thankful to be in tech, there is no time for me to be on the interwebs- for that is what it seems to me to be lately- a web of fear, hate and vitriol.
There are stories, blogs and speaking of love, and compassion- but you have to look for them.  It makes me so...weary.
The fear, the arrogance, the pride- the lack of self-awareness and hypocrisy- and we'd be silly to think we aren't capable of it- we all are capable.  It may manifest itself in different ways, but we are all our own brand of special snowflake.
Humility.  Repentance.  Forgiveness.  Love.
As we enter into the holiday season (I'm sorry- I am not sure Merry Hallowthanksmas counts)
I pray that we- as people, as fellow human beings on this planet- can get a grip.

Seriously- get a grip.  Get back to what matters.  Remember to be thankful- for your family, for your friends, for an abundance of provision that allows you to share with others- and oh yeah, feel free to share that abundance with people who are in lack.  We all have seasons of lack.  My friends have paid my bills, I have paid their bills-  THIS IS HOW IT WORKS.
It isn't rocket science, but it may involve bypassing people taking out senior citizens for good "deals" on Black Friday, oops, I mean Thanksgiving- and letting go of "stuff."  Don't get me wrong, one of my "love languages" is gifts, but there are gifts and then there is ridiculous- just my two cents.
STAY HOME.  Sheesh.

Anyhoo.

I refuse to live in fear.  That is not what God has called me to. I believe in prudence and wisdom, but the Bible says that LOVE TRUMPS IT ALL.
So- if I am not operating out of love, I am out of line.  Sadly, that seems to be happening more often than not as of late...truth.

This morning, in my daily dose of Tozer, I was reading some of his writing about fellowship and community- and it really struck a cord with me:

We all belong to each other;
The spiritual welfare of each one is
or should be
the loving concern of all the rest.

Isn't that gorgeous?  Aiden, you are a rock star.  What would life looks like if this were true?
How the heck do we get there?  In this self-centered society?
With our selfies, and tweets...and blogs....

And this:
We should pray for an enlargement of soul to receive into
our hearts all of God's people, whatever their race,
color or church affiliation.
Then we should practice thinking of ourselves 
as members of the blessed family of God and should
strive in prayer to love and appreciate everyone who
is born of the Father.

Wow.  Good stuff.  That there is a tall order isn't it?  So much easier said than done, says anyone who has been to church ever.  I know I certainly struggle with some of my brothers and sisters in Christ- particularly those who abuse power, preach hate, take advantage....yep, it's a struggle.  I want to punch them, and then I have to repent, it is a vicious cycle.

But it goes back to that thought I had a few posts ago- that whole -what if we prayed for people the way we would want to be prayed for- thing.
I wonder, what if we did what Jesus told us to, to love our enemies, to pray for them, to BLESS them.

A couple of Sundays ago, a woman in our prayer time before church started doing this.  She started praying for the people in ISIS.  I am not going to lie, it was disconcerting...and hard...and I didn't want to do it.   Then I thought to myself, this is what Jesus was talking about- this is what He was talking about in the Sermon on the Mount.  And she prayed for them..to have new hearts, to quit killing people, and raping women and children- I tell you, how many of us have gone there?
I know I should, but full disclosure, I haven't.  I read somewhere that the men in ISIS can purchase a child or a woman for less than $150 to do with what they will- rape, murder, abuse...it is totally LEGAL for this to happen, it is encouraged.  It makes me physically ill.  Seriously. I want to throw-up.  My heart is broken for those people  And I pray for those women and children- for the tangible presence of God to be with them always.  For the light and grace and beauty of who God created them to be to burst forth in light from their very being and bring conviction on those who would torment them. I am also not above praying that rapists wouldn't be able to "get it up" and that God would protect the victim to be from their ire.  But to pray for the tormentors?  Pray blessing on them? Hoo boy. In theory, by faith, maybe- but I honestly can't say I am at that level of love.
Prayer works.  Prayer is the work. I believe that- even when I don't see the fruit, even when the answer is no.  These are dark days.

Long lay the world, in sin and error pining....

We seem to have that bit mastered.   I pray that we would take this holiday season to begin to allow God to do that enlarging work in our hearts that carries us long into the future.  To be not afraid.....

To be not afraid.
Perfect love casts out fear.
How do we get there?  
We allow it, we choose love.  
We pray for help because we can't do it on our own- if we could, this world would look very different.
Jesus tells us not to be afraid in some manner or another over 20 times in the gospels.
Every time an angel shows up , the first thing they say is "Do not be afraid."
God knows fear is a real thing we deal with, He's got us covered.  

We are instructed not to fear- and we are instructed to love.  Period.  LOVE.
As a verb.  Not the Hallmark Valentine BS that will be in the stores before December 15th- but true love.   The kind that gives, and laughs, and cries, and prays, and believes....
The kind that inspires music, and art, and poetry and prose.  The kind you feel when you are overwhelmed by nature- the ocean, mountains, the quality of autumn's late afternoon sunlight as it hits the trees, the hushed stillness of new snow, the sprouts of the first crocus fighting its way to birth in the spring- the ache of the love of God's creation.
Your love for your people.
Your children.  Your spouse.  Your family.  Your friends.
Love the time you spend together.  Be blessed.  Be thankful.
Be love.

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices 
for yonder breaks, 
a new and glorious morn....


Comments

Popular Posts